Rules for International Students in Canada, 2023
High-quality education that is affordable makes Canada a highly sought-after study destination for international students. Almost 4 lakh international students attended different courses in Canada in 2022. The abundant and exciting educational opportunities available backed by ample scope for research work and an environment that encourages students to work while studying has made Canada the most preferred choice among students for studying overseas.
Liberal government policies and flexible rules for international students in Canada further make it an attractive option.
Good academic standing and having passed higher secondary school are prerequisites. English language proficiency is important and one of the following tests must have the required score –
TOEFL: The score is valid for two years and is accepted by all Canadian universities. The qualifying score is mostly between 80- 100. If a student has been studying in school with English as the official language for more than four years, the test is not required for them. Even students with a reading test score of more than 35 on the SAT exam do not need to sit for the test.
IELTS: The minimum IELTS score a student requires to study in Canada is 6, with most colleges requiring 6.5. The test can be used to apply to 5 institutions for free, on the basis of the score. If a student has been in an English speaking country for at least four years or is a citizen of a country with English as their official language, or if they have attended an English medium school for at least three years, they do not need to take the IELTS test.
PTE: The Pearson Test of English is an assessment of reading, listening, speaking and writing skills of students. Students who have completed three years at an institution with English as the first language, do not need to take the test.
CAEL: The Canadian Academic English Language Assessment Test assesses students’ English listening, writing, reading and speaking skills and scores on a scale of 10 to 90.
1) Application form for Canada Study Visa – Students need a study permit to study in Canada and this can be applied for online and on paper as well.
2) Valid passport –
- The passport should have a validity of at least one year after the issuance of visa.
- It must have been issued during the last 10 years and have a minimum of two free pages
- All previous passports, if any, must be attached
3) Passport-size photographs –
- Two color photos (35×45 mm size).
- White background, within the last 6 months period
- One photo must be glued to the application form and the other must be included in the documents
4) Birth certificate and national identity card are mandatory.
5) Academic documents –
- Certificate & transcript of Bachelor’s (for applying to a Master’s program)
- Certificate & transcript of Master’s (for applying to a Ph.D. program)
- Transcript of Matric and certificates (for applying to a Bachelor’s degree)
- Proficiency certificate in English from the university
- Course summary explaining current & previous courses
- Two Recommendation Letters from your university along with the referee’s details
All these documents must be attested by the respective universities and boards.
Any documents that are not in English, need to be translated into English and adhere to the following requirements –
- Confirmation from Translation Company/Translator
- Translation Date
- Name and Signature of the Translator
- Translator’s Contact Details
- CV – Compulsory for the university admission process
6) Statement of purpose – Previous academic documents, employment status, immigration history and financial status are must.
7) Letter of acceptance from an educational institution or in Quebec, from a Designated Learning Institute.
8) Letter of Explanation – It’s like a cover letter that explains your study goals to the Visa Officer.
9) Proof of funds – It is a receipt or proof of legal fee due to the university.
10) Bank statement – A bank statement of the last six months that would support the student’s education in Canada.
11) Receipt of Visa application is required at the time of the interview.
12) Immigration Medical Examination
13) Health & Travel Insurance
14) Hotel Reservation & Flight Booking details
15) Polio & Covid Vaccination Certificates
16) Guarantee of Investment
17) Police Certificate
In general, the processing time for a study permit varies from country to country and is approximately between 10 weeks to 3 months. Time needed for the application to go from office to VAC for fingerprints and biometrics is not included in this.
Student Direct Stream
Residents of some countries get the permit faster. These countries are Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, China, Morocco, India, Senegal, Pakistan, Vietnam, Antigua and Barbuda, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, and Vietnam.
Fulfil your dreams of studying in Canada and the US with Aplicar!
Aplicar connects students and recruitment partners to the best educational opportunities across Canada. It’s a one-stop solution to ease students’ journey towards studying in Canada.
The Aplicar Advantage
- Save hours of research and apply to the most suitable programs and schools in Canada
- Apply to the school of your dreams in just 5 minutes
- Apply to multiple schools/colleges with a single profile
- Excellent acceptance rate
- Streamline and simplify search, application, admission, study visa, and post landing services through our flexible service model